You be You
You are going to hear a lot of this kind of talk now that 2017 has arrived.
The new year is a time when women especially, are targeted by advertisers to think we need to totally make ourselves over to even be allowed into 2017.
And while of course we all love the idea about making positive changes to feel better, these kinds of ads and magazines and messages make us think we need to do something dramatic to change ourselves to be “acceptable”. So bring on the resolutions that we’re doomed to fail at:
“I’m going to work out every day for an hour”
“I’m only going to eat super healthy foods!”
But we need to be very careful about making sure we are resolution-ing for us and our feels and not our looks and other people’s standards.
Also the big statements that generally come from worry about making these big changes end up being too dramatic for us to be able to actually pull off. Studies show if the resolution is too big or too vague it makes it hard for us to even get started, let alone do in a way that improves our lives.
But, we got you. And we know that you can make changes if you want to make changes. So here’s our guide on how to start this year off right.
- If you want to set goals for yourself, great! Check out Em's top tips on setting goals in a way that makes it much more likely you will achieve them.
- If you want to start working out more, also great! We are soooo pro exercise and it’s bajillion health benefits and how to successfully do more of it, read more about some awesome ways to celebrate your body and get active.
Other things that have been proven to make us happier and more successful (and therefore are good places to start building positive changes) are:
- Improving our Friendships; find out more about building awesome friendships and knowing who your friends are.
- Improving our sleep habits; we are all about the power for sleep!
- Being creative and expressing yourself in new and different ways, kickstart your inspiration today.
- By far the best resolution you can make for yourself this year is to be kind to yourself, you can do this even if you don’t feel all this “self-love” stuff everyone’s always talking about, and it will improve your life.
- Lastly, you can just get on Em and be inspired to change this world through the stories about the game changing, totally badass young women we feature.
Be inspired by awesome girls like Maisy and find out how she overcame anorexia. Claire is speaking up about self-harm, Sahrika and Eva are speaking up and getting support for sexual abuse survivors and Kinanti is raising her voice to combat internet bullying, to name a few.
You can use your voice too, and you can tap into your INCREDIBLE STRENGTH when standing up to forces that want to push people down.
Get involved and be a part of Em, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to share your story.
Happy New Year to the you that’s got you this far <3 #beaforce